Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

I Don't Have a Bucket List

I do not have a bucket list.

Not that I don’t love stepping into an adventure, trying new experiences and travelling. I just don’t feel the need to create a bucket list.

I remember a couple of years ago when I heard about two teens, who had created a summer bucket list, and I was saddened to think that at 17, they felt the need to accomplish things before they moved away for college. I guess I was judging them against my 17 year old self who was most definitely scared, but also overly excited about starting a new life rather than checking things off.  

But is that what a bucket list is?

In 2007 when Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson starred in the movie with the same name, I remember enjoying the film, but knew then, that I couldn’t imagine creating a bucket list. Two of the questions the movie asked viewers however, did inspire me.

“Have you found joy in life? Has your life brought joy to others?” (Morgan Freeman as Carter Chambers)

Presently, and on a temporary contract, I am teaching 5 & 6 year olds in Kindergarten. I had no idea that I would be spending my days with these little marvels once again. And so it is easy for me to be thankful each morning when I wake up, easy for me to see the magnificence in each one of those Kindies eyes, easy for me to stop talking, smile warmly and just listen.

I see... hear... feel... joy in life.  

My husband and I have created a veritable paradise in our own home and yard. A place where we love to sit and just be. And as I plant trees that I may never see mature, I know that someday someone else will enjoy this space that we have loved. “What does a snail have to do to reincarnate? Create the perfect trail of slime?” (Jack Nicholson as Edward Cole)

Do I plan for the future? Of course, but I practise living right now.

Do you have a bucket list? If so, I’d love to hear from you so that I can fully understand this notion.

Thank you.

~ Ellyn

No comments:

Post a Comment