Pages

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Zigging & Zagging...


It is said that “the shortest path between two points is a straight line but what happens if that path gets blocked? When sediment impedes the flow of a river, it redirects, zigging and zagging instead of following a straight course. But like to the crow, like meandering is to the water’s most efficient route, source to outlet, nature finds a detour.” Jake Bohm
Writer, Tim Kring’s new show, Touch, is having a resounding effect within me. For many years now, I have found it painfully dull to sit in front of the television, only watching a couple of shows with my children, but when my dad told me about this captivating programme, I decided to give it a go. The story is about a widower and single father trying to connect with his emotionally challenged son, blending math, science and spirituality. I have not seen the pilot or the first episode and am filling in a few gaps as I catch up with what it is all about. What is evident is that it is rich in its creation.
I love when I notice spirituality in science and remember the first time that I was aware of Creation’s touch in mathematics. I had been teaching for many years and was taking a levelled testing class. I was never a fan of the practise of formally testing children, and yet knew that if I was going to be required to do so, I wanted as much background and information as possible in order to perform it as honourably as possible. I was dreading the statistics course, when the professor opened the first class with the statement that the beat of a butterfly’s wings in Beijing, affect the weather in Shanghai. I knew immediately that this was going to be the best statistics class my nonmathematical mind would ever take.
It was around this time that I began to observe that people’s lives intersected at certain points for a reason. I could sense why someone was in my life and began to honour it, not seeing it as bad or good but that it just was… is.
When my first husband left me, I felt devastated, betrayed and broken. That was twenty-three years ago and through the supportive words of many, including recently, a twitter friend, @DrGarcia who convinced me that those situations are rarely devastating, and with a warm smile am happy to know that I really did not break and although I will always love him, believe that he and I were only supposed to be together for that time. I am grateful for this understanding and know that if someone steps off of a shared path with me, it is okay because “if two points are destined to Touch, the Universe will always make it happen.”
~ Ellyn

1 comment:

  1. Ellyn,

    I have seen commercials for Touch and not been too interested, that is, until now. Great review and I love math. I'm going to go try to find it online and see if I can get caught up. Thanks for the review and suggestion.

    Brian

    ReplyDelete