Pages

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Today is what matters...


Although I marvel at the sun that causes me to wake a little earlier each day, as it pours in over my warm bed covers, it is the moon that brings about a gentle softness to my face and presents me with utmost peace.
Sometimes life winds up before it winds down. I always seem to feel this way in the spring, just before summer holidays approach. This being May 1st, I turn to the new page that resides on our family web calendar as well as the synchronized paper one, on our refrigerator, and it is blatantly evident how full May already seems. I then remind myself that I have more than enough time to do all that I want or need to do today, because after all, it is only today that matters. Ahh… so easily stated. I love the wisdom of the wise.
My to-do list today looks much like other days with slight variations and like most to-do lists, does not have everything on it just the things that I want to make certain I attend to.
-       exercise
-       meditate
-       write
-       Centennial “Stuff”
-       email youth re: Friday’s meeting
-       marinate pork
-       pick up Jillian @ 5:30
-       make appointments for Jillian’s hair
-       call to confirm dinner invitation for Max’s friend
-       get mail ready to go to town
-       mow lawn
It does not matter if I get everything on my list done but it is important to me that I have a focal point from which to work from. For years, I would have put exercise, meditate and write at the bottom, or more often than not, omit them entirely. I have learned that these undertakings are of utmost importance to all else that I do. These acts combined, are the substance of my life that offer me release, peace and purpose for today is what matters most to me and is all that really exists. I have memories of past todays and thoughts about future todays but in reality, only now. “Just as the moon has no light of its own, but can only reflect the light of the sun, so are past and future only pale reflections of light, power and reality of the eternal present.” Eckhart Tolle 
~ Ellyn

No comments:

Post a Comment