Pages

Monday, December 30, 2019

2019


I am goal setter. Each day actually, as well as at the beginning of a new year and at the beginning of September. I set intentions and write out the process of how I will meet these goals and honour my intentions and reside in the “how”. I haven’t always done this strategically or even with a conscious knowledge. As a child, I began each day making my bed and tidying up my room so that I could play in an environment that was clear of clutter. The second thing I ever bought with money earned, was bedding so that my bed was pretty to look at. My room was always the guest room because it was in order. As a young adult, I set my sights high and had goals that I have never reached, but I’m okay with that, because it was the pattern of daily living that provided me with the wherewithal to keep soaring.


Through the years my New Year’s Resolution have been things like, run more, write daily and clean less, but this past year, 2019, I chose a word. My word was integrity. I feel that I have strong integrity of word to others, but this year I wanted to have integrity of word even for self. I decided I was going to stand by the things that I promised myself. Meditate more, practise yoga more, read more self-improvement books, and listen to health podcasts. More was easy for me to do because all I had to do was add one more day a week to each of these; that became more. Was I really practising integrity of word to self?


I live a reflective life in all that I do and I have been very good at taking constructive criticism in my work life. I even ask for it. As I look back on this year, I wonder, did I live up to my initial thought of what integrity of word to self meant? I’m not sure but I am glad that I set this in motion. 2019 was a great year for me. I smiled a lot, had fun with kids, read 19 books, skied and ran and worked and wrote and travelled and saw people I hadn’t seen in a very long time. As I close up this year, I am okay with not meeting all of my goals and I am grateful for yet another New Year to ring in…


~ Ellyn

No comments:

Post a Comment